Stop, thief!

Well.  Last week the students had to turn in their final projects, which are Verb Reference Books.  The VRBs tackle not only the problem of students not knowing the difference between imperfect and preterite tenses, but also the fact that they, despite 2 years of Spanish "training," still do not know what "Yo" means.  In the verb books they have to conjugate 50 verbs with several different tenses and moods.  Exhibit A:

 So that would be one entry, for the verb Barrer.  They had 50 verbs to do.  Lots of work, I know!  With the heartbreak of the failure of Project 1 still in my mind (almost no students turned theirs in on time), I decided to make Project 2, the VRB, completely an "in-class" assignment.  I would answer any questions, supply paper and pencils, give advice on how to get the best grade, etc.  And on the due date, hallelujah!  The box on my desk filled up with finished Verb Reference Books.  Yaaaaay!  Walkin' on sunshine!

The only blip came when I had finished grading the books (in record time, but no big deal).  I handed them out and started putting the corrections on the board so students could salvage any poor grades and also make sure their book was a viable resource in their language learning.  Once I had passed everything out and was in the middle of presenting the corrected verbs, a very shy (straight-A) asian girl told me that she didn't get hers back. 

This caused a mild panic, because out of over 180 projects turned in, I may have misplaced one.  I checked all my folders, drawers, everything.  I told her to just take notes on the correct forms and double-check her binder at home in case she forgot to turn it in.  After the kids left I spent ages looking for her book, because I knew what a good student she was, and gosh I'm not perfect, it might be over here, what if I brought it into the teachers lounge by mistake, etc. etc. 

The next class period we continue correcting the books.  Asian girl's is still nowhere to be found.  She meekly approached me and asked if she would have to do it over.  I had no evidence that she had ever turned it in in the first place.  I had to say yes. 

Later I saw student C copying student B's verb book.  I called them both out on it and looked at the book that was being copied from.  It had a kind of raggedy cover page, but the inside was page after page of color-coded, picture-perfect conjugations.  The owner had received a 50 due to the fact that he had turned it in late, but it was a fantastic project.  I called him outside along with the asian girl.  

Me: "[Asian girl's name], is this your project?"
Her (visibly scared to admit it in front of the thief): "Yes."
Thief: "My little sister helped me with that, it's mine."

Thief had taken the project from the box on my desk (stealing from a teacher AND a student), ripped off the original cover page, and stapled on his own page featuring his name.  I was so livid that I walked him to the assistant principal's office right then, and filled out the paperwork later.  As punishment, he received one day in "In school suspension," which is sitting in a room and "working," which for most kids means sleeping. 

Not only did this kid steal, he made me look like an idiot who loses the work that students turn in. 

Summary: no matter what a fool child may do, the school is still paid by his attendance at school.  So any teacher who tries to discipline a child is putting her job at stake. 

The part that sucks is that I was surprised when I saw such good work from this student.  But when he turned it in, he said, "I think I'm finally getting it!" and I was so proud of him that he was able to get away with it (almost).  After 4 years I'm still too gullible for this job.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Go here

Buy everything.
studytunes.org